Research Innovation Office, Office of Research
Temporary full-time from October 15, 2018 to October 15, 2019
Temporary absence of the regular incumbent
Hiring #: 2018-0351
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The Research Innovation Office (RIO) has a mandate to enhance and foster research innovation activity at the University of Guelph (UG); to cultivate a culture of entrepreneurship; and to maximize the impact of University of Guelph research, both nationally and globally. The RIO will achieve its mandate through a focus on knowledge mobilization, technology transfer, industry liaison and new venture creation.
Knowledge Mobilization (KM) enhances impact by increasing engagement and connections across a variety of communities between research and practice to improve outcomes. Strategies to achieve this will include helping the community to engage with research; fostering partnerships; participating in strategic outreach; and developing projects that demonstrate and help shape the impact of our research.
Reporting to the Associate Director, New Venture Creation, the Knowledge Mobilization Manager (KMbM) will support the mandate of RIO to increase the ability of emerging UG research to help industry effectively leverage our technologies developed through our research, support development of public policy and professional practice, and support community engagement and collaboration. In particular, the KMbM will focus directly on the research activities from the Food from Thought project (https://foodfromthought.ca/). Primary aspects of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Strategic planning and implementation and assessment of knowledge mobilization practices within the Food from Thought project. The KMbM will be a key subject matter expert in the field of KM and research impact.
- Working with researchers across the UG to ensure the Food from Thought research is effectively mobilized
- Leading outreach, education and awareness efforts to facilitate KM efforts, including the preparation and delivery of informational material, facilitating research participation, and building capacity on campus.
- Participating and leading KM activities, including giving presentations, engaging in social media, communicating regularly, planning and attending events related to the portfolio, and developing partnerships
To be considered for this role, candidates must have:
- A master’s degree level of education or equivalent
- At least 5 years of experience in the field of KM within a university, hospital, NGO, government agency/department or equivalent
- Experience in the management of contracts and partnerships
- Proven networking and relationship building skills
- A reputation as an effective communicator; able to succinctly present information orally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and identify problems; analyze, recommend and execute solutions
- A creative and entrepreneurial orientation; able to encourage a culture of innovation
- Proof of a valid (Ontario) Driver’s License
- Authorization to work in Canada at the time of application
The candidate we are seeking is experienced in KM, and has a strong aptitude in building partnerships with a lasting positive impact. They are both optimistic about the opportunities for research to result in positive change, and practical about ways to achieve it.
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2018 07 25
Closing Date: 2018 08 08