This guest post was first published on the Sick Kids website and is reposted here with permission.
A five-day professional development certificate course for knowledge brokers
and other KT Professionals
In 2013 the Knowledge Translation Professional CertificateTM was recognized as a leading practice by Accreditation Canada. The certificate training course is dedicated to building competencies among Knowledge Translation practitioners through a practical and applied approach.
KTPC™ Course Overview
The Knowledge Translation Professional Certificate™ (KTPC) is a five day professional initiative. The curriculum, presented as a composite of didactic and interactive teaching, focuses on the core competencies of KT work in Canada, as identified by a survey of knowledge translation practitioners (Barwick et al., 2010). Developed in The Learning Institute, KTPC™ is hosted three times a year. Each session is open to a maximum of fifteen participants. This one-of-a-kind opportunity for professional development and networking is fully accredited by the University of Toronto’s Continuing Professional Development Office.
Who Should Take KTPC™?
The KTPC™ course is aimed at developing the competencies of KT practitioners working across all disciplines such as health, education, prevention/promotion, agriculture and others. However you identify yourself professionally, this course is for you if you serve an intermediary role between science and practice. We invite active participation of your employer to help build organizational culture for KT.
Over 272 Knowledge Translation practitioners and specialists have graduated from the Knowledge Translation Professional CertificateTM to date.
KTPC™ Learning Objectives
KTPC™ supports participants to achieve the following:
- Improve their confidence and ability to carry out knowledge translation activities (e.g., networking, building partnerships, selecting KT strategies, creating knowledge products, advocating for KT, etc.)
- Acquire and apply new knowledge and skills for KT planning
- Develop and present a completed KT plan based on their current work
- Establish short-term, post-course KT goals and develop a plan to achieve them
History of KTPC™
The KTPC™ course was developed in 2010 by the Learning Institute’s Knowledge Translation Team – Dr. Melanie Barwick, Sarah Bovaird and Kelly McMillen and our KTPC Advisory Committee. KTPC™ acknowledges support from the Alberta Centre for Child, Family and Community Research and the Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research and the work and determination of the Knowledge Translation Team at SickKids.
Upcoming KTPC™ Sessions
- March 23 to 27, 2020
- June 1 to 5, 2020
- November 9 to 13, 2020
Please refer to the KTPC Brochure for more information.
- Download the application to apply for the March 2020 session of KTPC™
- A completed application, including supervisor endorsement, is required. The submission deadline is Wednesday December 4, 2019 11:59 p.m.
- Please submit the completed applications to Srdjana Filipovic via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. SUBJECT LINE: KTPC March 2020 Application.
Program Manager, Knowledge Translation
Education Resource Group,
The Hospital for Sick Children
Phone: (416) 813-7654 ext. 228189
© Barwick, M., Bovaird, S., McMillen, K. (2010). Knowledge Translation Professional Certificate. The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto Ontario.