Knowledge Mobilization at Kwantlen Polytechnic University
Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) is a regionally focused, teaching-led institution. Situated in Metro Vancouver, KPU is a multi-sector university offering a wide array of undergraduate degree programs, trades and technology programs, and one and two-year certificate and diploma programs to 18,000 students on campuses in Surrey, Richmond, Langley and Cloverdale.
Building on our emerging expertise in service learning and community-based research, KPU will develop a coordinated hub that connects interdisciplinary teams of faculty and students to the needs of community stakeholders. Working as authentic community partners, KPU will help identify and implement research projects, support community efforts to mobilize research findings, and evaluate the effectiveness of partnerships. In this context we will work to create synergies within and among a wide range of community engagement activities, from service learning courses to applied research projects.
The KPU hub will:
- Support the develop, implementation, coordination and celebration of community based partnerships and applied research projects;
- Coordinate and align various course-based approaches to community engagement—service learning, practicums, etc.— with the development of sustained partnerships for applied research and the scholarship of teaching and learning;
- Incubate the development of community-based research partnerships by participating in ‘community tables’ and other networking activities, holding community town hall meetings at KPU, and applying for community research projects with community partners;
- Offer knowledge mobilization and capacity building workshops for faculty, students, staff, and community, e.g. write a knowledge mobilization section of a grant, use social media in knowledge mobilization, influence policy, structure service learning courses, and implement the Active Community Engagement Model;
- Enhance the development of interdisciplinary approaches to research and knowledge mobilization at KPU;
- Routinely share information with other partners about best practices for research mobilization;
- Participate in the development of pan-Canadian projects for research and research mobilization;
- Assist in the development of a western Canada regional ResearchImpact node;
- Systematically evaluate the impact of all community-based activities at KPU.
12666 72nd Ave
Surrey, BC V3W2M8